This is one of my favourite mid-week meals and a recipe I am truly proud of!
No meat substitutes. No Soya. No ‘Quorn’. 100% Fresh, plant based ingredients.
I make this sauce with a base of cauliflower and walnut to give extra bite and flavour. A lot of people have said it has a meaty texture and I can assure you, you will not miss the meat in this dish.
It really is so easy to be vegan when you can make healthy, nourishing meals like this!
250g White Mushrooms
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Cup Walnuts
2 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast / Marmite
2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
½ Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
2 Tins Good Quality Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
1 Teaspoon Worcester Sauce
125ml Red Wine (optional)
Salt and Pepper
- Finely chop the onion, mushrooms and carrots and grate the whole cauliflower head
- Saute / sweat the vegetables in a large, noon-stick frying pan / casserole dish in the oil.
- Cook until soft and any water is reduced (should take about 10-15 minutes)
- Mince the garlic cloves and stir into the mixture for 2 minutes
- Grind the walnuts into a coarse meal using a food processor or pestle and mortar and add to the pan
- Stir in the dried herbs, nutritional yeast / Marmite and salt and pepper
- Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add to the sauce along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and Worcester sauce
- Add 125 ml of red wine (optional) and stir
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and until reduced
- Taste for seasoning and add more if needed
- Serve with spelt or wholegrain spaghetti, fresh basil garnish
If you liked this recipe, keep following for my Vegan ‘Chilli-Con-Cauli’ recipe coming very soon! 🙂